Raimondo Announces Funding, Partnerships to Establish New Job Training Center
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
The partnerships include Amica, CVS Health, Fidelity and AAA Northeast.
"America's Industrial Revolution was sparked in Northern Rhode Island and the Blackstone Valley. As we rebuild and strengthen our new economy, Woonsocket is positioned once again to play a big role in training people for good-paying, middle-class jobs," said Governor Raimondo. "This public-private partnership will help ensure that everyone who wants a shot at a good job can access the job training they need to be competitive. Since 2015, we've totally revamped job training and education in Rhode Island. We need to protect that progress and keep going to ensure that every Rhode Islander -- at every skill level and in every part of our state -- is included in our recovery,” said Raimondo.
While the Northern Rhode Island Higher Education Center will be located in Woonsocket, a specific location within the city has not yet been determined.
The Center is modeled on the Westerly Education Center that Raimondo established through a public-private partnership with Electric Boat, the Royce Family Fund and others.
The Northern Rhode Island Higher Education Center will replicate the employer model:
- AAA Northeast will develop training programs to support their needs for call center bilingualism, leadership training, data analytics and travel/tourism.
- Amica is developing training curricula to help Rhode Islanders compete for available jobs in computer information systems and building programs to meet the company's needs in call center services (including bilingualism) and leadership training.
- CVS Health will develop training cohorts to allow Rhode Islanders to become certified as Pharmacy Technicians and prepare them for jobs for data analytics and IT. The company will also develop programs to foster leadership and management skills required for employees to move along established career paths and earn higher wages and provide training for individuals with disabilities in a mock retail store.
- Fidelity has identified needs in data analytics and IT/cyber and will launch a partnership with Bryant University's Executive Development Center to train new hires.
- The Governor first proposed the Northern Rhode Island Higher Education Center in January during her State of the State Address. She included $4 million in her budget proposal, which was approved by the legislature, for the Center.
- Raimondo Balks at Calling for Repeal of Endorsements of Ultra-Conservative Democrats
- Raimondo Vetoes Mattiello’s Last Minute Legislation for Constituent
- Brown Calls for McNamara to Resign, NOW Demands Endorsements Be Renounced, and Raimondo & Mattiello
- Raimondo Signs Legislation Requiring Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Schools
- Moderate Party’s Gilbert Blasts Raimondo, Mattiello Over Use of Eminent Domain for PawSox Stadium
- Governor Raimondo Changes Her Name to Gina
- Raimondo Signs Bills to Help Settle Lawsuits in St. Joseph’s Pension Collapse
- Is There Trouble for Raimondo and McKee in Rhode Island, After NY Congressional Upset
- UPDATED:Raimondo Signs PawSox Funding Bill — Costs $83M More, Draws Fire from Brown
- 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook - Is Raimondo Tipping Her Hand?
- Raimondo Trapped Between ‘Ole Boy’ and New Progressives
- 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook: Raimondo’s Bad Week - Is the Primary a Horserace?
- Raimondo Blasts Brown for Not Revealing Global Zero Donors
- Raimondo Never Disclosed Illegal Contribution from Oaktree to Employees Retirement Board or SEC
- Global Zero’s Johnson Calls Raimondo’s Claims “Baseless & Bizarre”
- A Lively Experiment - GoLocal’s Nagle Joins Panel to Discuss Raimondo’s Pay-to-Play
- IBEW, Boilermakers & Sheet Metal Workers Endorse Raimondo for Governor
- Brown Urges Raimondo to Release Donation Information to Public, Defends Time at Global Zero
- Raimondo Signs Executive Order Announcing Governor’s Bay Day 2018
- UPDATED: Thanks to Raimondo, RI Retirees May Own a Piece of AC Milan Via a GOP Mega-Donor