Fit For Life: Opportunity & Hustle
Sunday, September 24, 2017
It’s the level of hustle that will dictate your level of success, and I say the word your, because everyone has their own set of goals and vision of success. It’s also my belief that whatever your vision, it is attainable if you focus, set goals, and take action every day. You see, we all have the same opportunities in this great nation, but not everyone takes advantage of the opportunities given to them.
I was listening to The Lou Holtz speech yesterday on YouTube, and it confirmed what the topic of my column would be today… Opportunity and Hustle! If you don't know, Lou Holtz was the head coach of Notre Dame years back. In the beginning of his speech he states that he was taught by his parents that life is about making choices, wherever you are, good or bad, don’t blame anyone else for the choices you have made. He was also taught personal responsibility for the choices we make and if you are willing to overcome problems and difficulties in this great country you can amount to something.
The big takeaway is that you need to be willing to overcome problems, and take a few hits along the way, and still have the ability to get back up and keep fighting. Success wasn’t designed for quitters, finger pointers, and crybabies. You need to accept responsibility for your choices and actions, in order to grow and make the improvements needed to progress to the next level.
Are you growing – or are you dying?
Another impactful line in his presentation was “You are either growing, or you are dying”, and his biggest mistake was to try to maintain his current situation. It had nothing to do with his age, it was him trying to get better, and he regrets that when he reached the top, he got complacent. I feel that the lesson in this statement is that regardless of your situation, you can’t stop trying to get better, and if you do, things will only regress. So, wake up every day and try to get better at some aspect of your life.
Lead with the good news
Another great quote was that we are all going to have problems, and difficulties and you shouldn’t tell people about your problems, because 90% of people don’t care, and the other 10% are glad you have them. I truly believe that, too. We all have our own problems, and it takes enough energy to deal with them, let alone someone else's problems. When you have a conversation with someone, make it a point to focus on the good news, and positive things happening, not the negative or hardships. As Lou states, 90% of the people don't care and if the other 10% are glad you have problems, don't give them the satisfaction.
"Do everything to the best of your ability, and have fun doing it." He states that not everyone can be an all American, but everybody can be the best they are capable of being. If you want to fail, you have the right to fail, but you do not have the right to cause other people to fail.
If you chose to be part of something whether it’s a business, a team you have obligations and responsibilities to others around you. You owe it to other people to do the maximum you can at each and everything you do.
Do it better. Do it with enthusiasm
So, I conclude with “Try to do everything better, and do it with enthusiasm”. Life is short, and we need to have fun while we are here. I believe that when you have purpose and care about what you are doing, you will naturally do it better. When you wake up and approach each with a positive frame of mind and an I can do attitude, success will find you.
It’s up to you what level of success you can achieve. Everything starts with a vision, then turns to goals. From goals, you decide what’s your purpose, and then act to achieve those goals. We are all given the same opportunities, but not everyone is willing to take the steps needed to seize them when they come. Not everyone is willing to take the hits and keep moving forward. Some quit when the going gets tough, and some have little desire to succeed.
The choice is yours, and you are responsible for your decisions. Decide to be the greatest version of yourself that you can be. Everyone has the ability, but everyone doesn't have the drive.
- Fit For Life: Marathon – or Sprint?
- Fit For Life: “Adversity Introduces a Man to Himself” (Albert Einstein)
- Fit for Life: Accentuate the Positive - Eliminate the Negative
- Fit For Life: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes…
- Fit for Life: 7 Steps to Weight Loss…
- Fit For Life: Are You Worth it?
- Fit for Life: The INside and OUTside of Fitness
- Fit For Life: Diets I’ve Known, Loved and Hated
- Fit For Life: Ah-choo! What Can I do?
- Fit for Life: Fitness? Or Foolishness!
- Fit For Life: How You do Anything…is How You do Everything…
- Fit For Life: We All Need to Get Better…
- Fit for Life: Time for Some Old-School Values…
- Fit For Life: Back-to-School - Have a Plan!
- Fit For Life: Time is On My Side – Yes it is…
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet
- Fit For Life: Grocery Store Bingo
- Fit For Life: What is Results Fitness?
- Fit for Life: We Do It Better Together…
- Fit for Life: Accentuate The Positive … Eliminate The Negative…
- Fit For Life: How You do SOME Things is Usually How You do EVERYthing…
- Fit For Life: Opportunity Knocking…
- Fit For Life: It’s Non-Negotiable!
- Fit for Life: The Cycle of Life
- Fit for Life: …Because Life Can Change in a Moment’s Notice