Trinity Rep Looking For 2015 RI Pell Award Nominees
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Trinity Repertory Company is inviting the public to nominate outstanding local artists for the 2015 Rhode Island Pell Awards for Excellence in the Arts. The Pell Awards’ criteria include excellence in the artist's chosen field, work that significantly advances the art form, and contribution to the betterment of the community and the world at large through artistic presence and community service. Awards will be presented at the theater’s gala in June.
The Pell Awards honor Senator Claiborne Pell and recognize artistic excellence in Rhode Island, the New England region and nationally. He sponsored the landmark legislation that established the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities in 1965, and chaired the Senate Education and Arts subcommittee.
Nomination criteria require the artist’s name, contact information, and a brief description of his or her work and the contributions that they have made to Rhode Island. Nominations are due by February 14.
Related Slideshow: The Pell Family Legacy
In 1960, an unknown political force swept Rhode Island and became one of the most unlikely United States Senators in America.
Claiborne Pell beat two former RI Governors and held the Senate seat until 1997. Now, his grandson who has ties to the White House and a superstar wife, is gearing up for a run for Governor of Rhode Island. Take a look at the Pell family legacy.
Claiborne Pell was the son of the United States Ambassador to Portugal and later Hungary.
Pell was considered a long shot when he ran for the United States Senate in 1960, but he out-worked the Democratic machine and defeated former Governor Dennis J. Roberts and former Governor and U.S. Senator J. Howard McGrath in the Democratic primary. It was one of the biggest upsets in RI political history.
Pell's legacy was two fold: he was one of the most unque members of the United States Senate; and he built an impressive track record of legislative successes.
He was the author of the legislative effort that created the Pell Grants, he created the National Endowment for the Arts, and he served as Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
If Clay Pell decides to run for Governor of Rhode Island, it would be hard to imagine that he would not receive strong support from United States Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI).
Whitehouse has enjoyed unyielding support from the Pell family and the matriarch Nuala Pell.
Whitehouse's early support would help push Pell into a very formidable position.
A Clay Pell candidacy would not only get a boost from his family's reputation, but his own resume would make him credible out of the box.
In April of 2013, President Barack Obama appointed Pell to serve as Deputy Assistant Secretary for International and Foreign Language Education.
This Presidential appointment comes after Pell served as Director for Strategic Planning on the National Security Staff at the White House, "where he helped develop and advance a number of the President’s key national security and global competitiveness priorities across the globe."
Clay Pell attended Harvard, earned a JD from Georgetown and has passed the RI, MA and US Supreme Court Bar exams.
He is a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve.
Pell also served as a White House Fellow.
Pell married Olympic two-time Olympic medalist, Michelle Kwan in January of 2013 in Newport.
Kwan brings an impressive resume of her own beyond being five-time World Champion and nine-time US skating Champ.
- Theater Review: McEleney Triumphs in Trinity’s King Lear
- Superstars of Trinity’s Pell Awards—Actor Kate Burton Newest Star
- Theater Review: Trinity Rep’s Crime and Punishment
- Trinity Rep Announces 50th Anniversary Season Line-Up
- Seen: Brian Dennehy at Trinity + More
- Brian Dennehy Coming to Trinity for One Night Only
- Theater Review: Trinity’s Clybourne Park
- Theater Review: The Merchant of Venice at Trinity Rep
- NEW: Viola Davis to Receive Pell Award From Trinity Rep
- Theater Review: Boeing-Boeing at Trinity Rep
- Trinity To Sponsor “Zombie Prevention” Blood Drive
- RI PowerPlayer: Trinity Rep’s Michael Gennaro
- Trinity Rep to Debut Great Writers Series for 2014-2015 Season
- Richard and Sharon Jenkins to Receive Trinity Rep’s Pell Award
- Business Innovation Factory BIF10 Summit Draws Packed Crowd at Trinity Rep
- Trinity Rep Executive Director Leaving for Role at Connecticut Musical Theatre
- Trinity: 14 Who Made a Difference in RI in 2014
- NEW: Trinity Rep Recognized with 2 IRNE Awards
- Actor Richard Jenkins Returns to Trinity Rep
- SNL’s Colin Quinn Coming To Trinity Rep For One Night Only
- Trinity Rep Kicks Off 50th Anniversary Season with Grapes of Wrath
- NEW: Trinity Brewhouse Named Best Rhode Island Bar by BuzzFeed
- New Tonight Show Debuts on Set Created by Trinity Rep’s Eugene Lee
- Trinity Rep Looking For 2015 RI Pell Award Nominees