LIVE: Fierce for Shannon Foundation Keeps Local Girl’s Fighting Spirit Alive
Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Founder of the organization Fierce for Shannon, Heil has dedicated his life to preserving the memory of his daughter through acts of goodwill and humanity. Along with awarding annual scholarships, the organization focuses on paying it forward, committing small acts of charity in the hopes of inspiring people and creating good in the world, called the Share for Shannon movement.
“Shannon wouldn’t want me to sit around and be sad,” Heil said. “She’d be really angry about that. I’m just doing what she would have done.”
At noon on July 11, Heil calls for everyone who is willing to do something small for another person. The act can be anything, from spending time with an elderly person in a nursing home to buying a coffee for the person behind you in line. Participants are encouraged to use Share for Shannon “coupons,” which tell Shannon’s story and challenge the recipient to continue the chain by paying it forward for someone else. The goal of the day is to create a “fierce mob,” a play on a flash mob.
Heil says he would love for one day someone to do an act of kindness for him, handing back a Share for Shannon coupon.
“I don’t care if it’s dirty, crumpled and covered it tape,” he said. “That would only show that it’s traveled and touched the lives of so many people.”
The fourth annual Fierce for Shannon Running Festival will be held on August 26 at Quonset Point. In years past, the race was held in the Lincoln woods in April, but Heil decided to move the date to summer after years of rain, snow, and cold temperatures. This year’s event will feature 5k, 10k, and 10-mile events, and will raise money for the organization's scholarships and grants.
Also available on the website is a 13-minute documentary that tells Shannon’s and the foundation’s story. The film has been screened at over a dozen film festivals and has won several awards, but Heil says that isn’t what matters most to him, instead it’s knowing that so many people heard Shannon’s story and were inspired by her message.
Above all, Heil hopes his message inspires people to simply be more kind to others.
“You never know what someone’s going through or how your small act could change their lives,” he said.
More information on the Fierce for Shannon Foundation, run, Fierce Mob, or any other events run through the foundation can be found on their website.
- LIVE: Reach Out & Read RI to Host Free “Read & Romp” at Roger Williams Carousel May 12
- LIVE: RWU’s Roving Eye Film Festival Continues Through The Weekend
- LIVE: Special Olympics’ DeJesus on 50th Anniversary Celebration
- LIVE: Miss RI USA Demoranville on Upcoming Pageant—& Dreams of Opening Bakery
- LIVE: Youth in Action to Celebrate 20 Years with “Bloom” Party This Thursday in Providence
- LIVE: Save the Bay Calls for “Citizen Water Reporters”
- LIVE: North Providence’s Caranci on Need for Town Ethics Commission
- LIVE: Dickinson on Latest Retiree Effort to Get COLAs Following Pension Reform
- LIVE: Options Magazine’s Rogers on Relaunch of LGBTQ+ Publication in RI
- LIVE: “Great American Pie Fight” for ALS at The Dorrance This Saturday
- LIVE: RI Restaurateur Brady Says Business “Best It’s Been” in Years
- LIVE: Morgan Promises to End Tolls in “Blueprint for a Stronger Rhode Island”
- LIVE: Unusual Windows and How to Tackle Their Treatments with Garceau
- LIVE: Lawless on Melania Trump’s Health, Gaza Unrest, Tuesday’s Elections
- LIVE: Narragansett Bay Commission’s Mesolella on Pursuing Providence Water Sale
- LIVE: RI Dept. of Health Dental Director on RI’s #7 Ranking
- LIVE: USA TODAY’s Lipman on New Book, Upcoming Appearance in Providence
- Lima on LIVE: Supporting Use of Stun Guns, Tasers in RI with Permit
- LIVE: Prov Water Launches $1 Million Lead-Free Program to Help Property Owners
- LIVE: Newport Mayor Winthrop Discusses the Impact of the Volvo Ocean Race
- LIVE: RI DEM’s Coit Explains What the Volvo Ocean Race Means to RI
- LIVE: Tuiraviravi Says Volunteers are the “Face and Heart” of Volvo Ocean Race’s Newport Stopover
- LIVE: Sail Newport’s Kelly Highlights the Race Village’s Exploration Zone
- LIVE: Sail Newport’s Read Discusses the Thrilling Finish to Leg 8 of the Volvo Ocean Race
- LIVE: Fairman Says Roger Williams Park Zoo’s Zoobilee is “One of Best Nights of the Year”