3 Providence Brothers, Previously Deported, Arrested for Leading Major Drug Cartel
Friday, April 14, 2017
A total of 15 people who were running a heroin and cocaine supply chain across Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut were arrested on Thursday.
The announcement was made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Acting U.S. Attorney for Rhode Island Stephen Dambruch, and Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Boston Field Division Harold Shaw. in separate, but coordinated press announcements.
“The President has made the dismantlement and destruction of drug cartels a top priority, and cases like these are integral in that effort. When law enforcement – federal, state and local – work together like these partners in Rhode Island, we will be one step closer to fulfilling this goal and protecting our communities,” said Sessions.
RI's Acting U.S. Attorney Dambruch filed in court documents that the Valdez Drug Trafficking Organization, run by three brothers, Hector Valdez, 47 and Claudio Valdez, 44, Dominican nationals living in Woonsocket, and Juan Valdez, 50, also a Dominican national living in Milton, Mass.
"As alleged, the Valdez brothers trafficked in all types of drugs and profited from the addictions that have destroyed lives and torn apart families here in New England. This case illustrates that drug cartels based in foreign countries will go anywhere to distribute their deadly products. The FBI’s Safe Streets Task Force will do everything it can to disrupt and dismantle drug trafficking organizations that threaten the safety and stability of our neighborhoods,” said Shaw.
Based on information developed by the FBI Safe Streets Task Force during the investigation dubbed “Operation Triple Play,” a reference to the three Valdez brothers, the FBI, assisted by federal, state, and local law enforcement agents and officers in three states, executed 15 federal arrest warrants and 13 search warrants issued by the U.S. District Courts.
Immigration detainers have been lodged against nine of the defendants charged in this matter, identified as Dominican nationals, most living in the United States with what are alleged to be stolen identities. Additionally, Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents assisting in the execution of the arrest and search warrants detained two individuals on administrative warrants for removal who they encountered but who were not criminally charged as a result of Operation Triple Play.
During the investigation which started in September 2016, and as a result of search warrants executed this week, the FBI Safe Streets Task Force seized almost 4 kilograms of heroin, 1.5 kilograms of fentanyl, 2 kilograms of cocaine, 155 grams of crack cocaine, more than 100 pounds of cutting agents, approximately 12 kilograms of powdery substances that have been sent for laboratory analysis, approximately $95,000 in cash and 9 vehicles. Five of the cars had hidden compartments allegedly used for transporting drugs and money.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Gerard B. Sullivan, with the assistance of Assistant U.S. Attorneys William J. Ferland, Ronald A. Gendron and Richard W. Rose, according to a press release.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- 20 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- 17 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- NEW: 15 Arrested in Kennedy Plaza Drug Sweep; Providence Refuses to Address Panhandling
- NEW: Three Protesters Chained to Textron Building Arrested by Providence Police
- EXCLUSIVE: Providence Councilman Kevin Jackson Arrested (UPDATED)
- Former U.S. Women’s Soccer Star Wambach Arrested for DUI
- INFOGRAPHIC: RI Ties to Wall St. Exec Arrested for $95M in Fake Investments
- ACLU Sues Tiverton, Says 3rd Grader Arrested Without Cause
- Catholic Church Admits Prov. School Aide Arrested for Sexual Assault Worked at Cathedral
- 35 Arrested Following Woonsocket Drug Trafficking Investigation
- Trump’s Campaign Manager, Lewandowski, Arrested & Charged With Battery
- Providence Mob Boss DeLuca Arrested by FBI in Florida
- Providence Man Arrested After Police Find Rifle, Marijuana in Home
- Suspect in Federal Hill Dolce Villa Robbery Arrested
- NEW: One of RI’s Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives Arrested in Ohio
- Providence Residents in Possession of 5 Kilos of Cocaine Worth $150,000 Arrested
- UPDATED: Chair of Providence GOP Arrested for Child Molestation
- Former Rep. Palumbo Arrested for Embezzling from Campaign Account
- RI Prison Escapee Morales Arrested by MA State Police, Prison Officials React in Central Falls
- New York Men Arrested in West Greenwich for Possession of 2,295 Oxycodone Pills
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- NEW: Hells Angels Associate Arrested in Rhode Island on Drug, Weapons Charge
- Top RI Comedian, Former Rhode Show Host Arrested on Cocaine Charges
- Special Education Teacher Arrested for Possession of Child Porn