Council Approves Fane Tower Height Variance; Mattiello & Ruggerio Urge Elorza to Support Project
Wednesday, November 21, 2018
VIDEO: See City Council Vote BELOW
On Tuesday afternoon, Senate President Dominick Ruggerio and House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello sent a letter to Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza urging him not to veto the council action.
Of note, council President-elect Sabina Matos changed her vote from "abstain" on Thursday to "yes" on Tuesday. The vote was nine in favor, five opposed, with current Council President David Salvatore abstaining.
SEE MORE BELOW VIDEO
"I'm still working on getting my funding for [affordable] housing," Matos told GoLocal after the vote. "If it doesn't get built I'm not going to get anything -- if it gets built, I have a chance still."
Councilman Seth Yurdin spoke following the vote about his opposition, as well as those in the community -- saying it wasn't a "NIMBY" issue.
"What [people] are concerned about is the long-term economic growth of our state and city [and] adherence to fair and predictable processes," said Yurdin "The fact that so many of the council were opposed and fought so hard is a testament to those working for a better city and state."
The Mayor now has ten days to sign or veto the ordinance -- or let pass without his signature.
READ LETTER FROM MATTIELLO AND RUGGERIO BELOW
Related Slideshow: Fane Unveils New Design for Tower
- VIDEO: Providence Preservation Society Targets Council Members on Fane Tower
- EDITORIAL: Will Fane’s $300M Investment Go the Way of the PawSox, Due to Lack of RI Leadership
- Providence City Council Delays Decision on Fane Tower Rezoning - Send to Committee for Hearings
- What is Developer Fane’s Track Record in Toronto?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Miller: Fane Tower Could Prove Disastrous for RI’s Housing Market
- Realtor’s Lobbyist & Council Pres. Salvatore Opposes Fane Tower, Draws Criticism From Unions
- Guidelines Have to Be Consistent: Prov. Preservation Society’s Runyon on Fane Proposal
- Fane Tower Would Have Positive Impact on City, Taxpayers, and Economy, Says Sabitoni on LIVE
- Fane Tower Debate: After 2 Years Council Pres. Salvatore Continues to Duck Taking a Stand
- Salvatore Attacks GoLocal After Report Unveils He Has Not Made Decision on 2-Year-Old Fane Project
- Big Projects that Never Got Built in Providence — Is Fane’s Tower Next?
- Rickman’s Big View - Fane Tower
- Fane Tower May Be Approved Before Thanksgiving, Now On Fast Track
- EDITORIAL: Providence is a Special Place, It Needs to Grow Upward with the Fane Tower
- Prov Preservation Society Delivers 1,800 Signatures in Opposition to Zoning Change for Fane Tower
- VIDEO: Fane Tower Moves Forward— Providence City Council Approves Height Variance
- Fane Tower Gets Big Approval As Ordinance Committee Reverses Vote
- VIDEO: $300M Fane Tower Plan Sparks More Debate in Providence Showdown
- Fane Addresses Next Steps for Tower Proposal on LIVE
- Bishop: Fane Needs [To Give Us] a Better Deal
- Whitcomb: Down Into the Dark; Fane Tower ‘Residents’; Banana Republics; Mosaics of Protected Land
- R.W. Alley: “Fane’s Tower of Babble”