Former Providence Police Chief Esserman Gets No-Confidence Vote in New Haven
Thursday, June 23, 2016
According to the New Haven Register, Juliemar Ortiz reported:
Union President Craig C. Miller said officers have issues with the way Esserman runs the department, citing his alleged bad temper and intimidation.
“People spoke out and they had many issues. Intimidation is his weapon. He’s quick to punish rather than work with officers to correct mistakes, he doesn’t treat people equally, and he plays favorites,” Miller said Thursday.
Union members voted 39-12 to hold the vote after an hour of debate during a meeting Wednesday night.
Latest for Esserman in CT
Esserman was named in a racial and gender discrimination complaint filed in Superior Court in New Haven in May, according to the Register.
In 2014, GoLocal reported, "Former Providence Police Chief Dean Esserman Threatened to Shut Down Army-Yale Football Game:"
Dean Esserman, former Providence Police Chief and present New Haven Police Chief, threatened to “shut down the whole (Army-Yale football) game” after an usher had asked Esserman for a ticket and a supervisor had refused to “remove” the usher from the Yale Bowl.
Dean Esserman who was forced to resign as the Police Chief of Providence after GoLocalProv investigation uncovered that he had allowed his high school aged daughter and more than 100 friends have a drug and alcohol party at his home under his supervision.
The Army-Yale football game incident came to light after a Yale Assistant Professor Dan Weinberger wrote a letter unveiling the verbal abuse by Esserman.
In the letter (see below) Weinberger outlines the incident and the threat by Esserman.
- Exclusive: Underage Drinkers at Chief Esserman’s Home
- BREAKING NEWS: Councilman Demands Esserman Resign—Again
- BREAKING: Esserman Responds
- Your Turn: Should Esserman Step Down?
- Esserman Fallout: Providence Council Reacts
- Cianci, Cicilline, Esserman Pensions Targeted
- Is Esserman Worth Over $200,000 a Year?
- EXCLUSIVE: New Accusations of Misbehavior Against Esserman
- Outrage over ‘Second Pension’ for Esserman
- UPDATED: Taveras Keeps Esserman
- Esserman Is No Longer Viable in Providence
- NEW: Commissioner Pare Releases Statement on Esserman
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT June 16, 2011 Part 6: Esserman Reaction
- BREAKING NEWS: Esserman Resigns
- Former Providence Police Chief Dean Esserman Threatened to Shut Down Army-Yale Football Game
- BREAKING NEWS: City ‘Evaluating’ Weekend Incident at Esserman Home
- Esserman Controversy - Providence Residents Speak Out
- Gone But Not Forgotten: Council Members Question Esserman’s Severance Pay
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT Esserman Resigns
- Esserman to be Named New Haven Police Chief
- Providence, Dean Esserman & RISD Named in Police Beating Victim’s $7 Million Suit
- Will Esserman Return to Head Public Safety Under Elorza?
- Esserman Resigns: City Reacts
- Dean Esserman and GoLocalProv – A Timeline
- NEW: Esserman Gets National Recognition for Community Policing