NEW: Truckers, Cumberland Farms Sue RI DOT Director Alviti Over Truck Tolls
Tuesday, July 10, 2018
The American Trucking Associations, Cumberland Farms, M&M Transport Services, and New England Motor Freight filed the suit in the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island on Tuesday, naming Peter Alviti, Jr. in his official capacity as Director of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation.
"Plaintiffs bring this action to challenge the constitutionality of a system of tolls imposed by the State of Rhode Island on specified categories of large trucks traveling on bridges and highways in the State. Plaintiffs seek both a declaration that te truck-toll system employed by defendants violates the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution and an injunction of that system in the future," states the suit.
“We’ve maintained since day one, that the truck‐only tolling component of RhodeWorks is unlawful and this comprehensive lawsuit offers clear, unequivocal proof," said Christopher Maxwell, President/CEO of the RI Trucking Association. “The Raimondo administration, Speaker Mattiello, and RIDOT Director Alviti force‐fed RhodeWorks into legislation with misleading and inaccurate propaganda. Furthermore, they implemented this tolling scheme with tremendous arrogance and reckless disregard for the RI taxpayers and business community who will ultimately get stuck paying the bill for this ill‐conceived tolling scheme."
Th DOT released the following statement on Tuesday afternoon.
"This is a lawsuit we expected. We are prepared to defend the tractor trailer truck only tolling program and have been prepared to do so for three years. We are confident that we will prevail.
The tractor trailer tolling program is meeting or exceeding our performance and revenue expectations. It will benefit the users of Rhode Island's bridges and ensure they are repaired and paid for in a fair and equitable manner.
Pending resolution of this legal matter in court, we have no further comment."
- 10 Biggest Questions Facing Truck Tolls in RI
- Truck Toll Opponents Battle DOT Over Taking Sign Down Next to Rt. 95
- 16 Things You Need to Know About the RI Truck Tolls Fight
- Leadership Unveils New RI Truck Tolls Plan, Opponents Still Disagree
- NEW: Raimondo Issues Study Claiming Truck Tolls Would Benefit RI GDP by $500M
- Raimondo Using Same Consultant for Truck Toll Plan that RI is Suing for 38 Studios
- Governor Proposing Truck Tolls to Fund RI Infrastructure Bank
- GoLocalTV: RI Teamsters, Trucking Association Clash on Truck Tolls for Infrastructure
- NEW: Truck Tolls May Still be in the Budget
- Truck Toll Opponents Gear Up for Senate Finance on Thursday
- Morgan to Propose Budget Amendments to Eliminate Truck Tolls—and Prevailing Wage
- Maxwell Warns About Impact of First Truck Tolls Activating on June 11th
- Rhode Island’s Truck Tolls Approved by Feds, According to RIDOT
- RI House Approves Truck Toll Legislation After Marathon Debate
- Effort to Pass Truck Tolls Gets Push from TV and Digital Ads
- Truck Tolls Showdown in Rhode Island
- GoLocalTV: RI Leaders Show Support for RhodeWorks & Truck Tolls on Tuesday
- RIPEC Report Says Truck Toll Plan Raises Too Much Money, Mattiello Responds
- RI’s Job Lot Announces It Is Putting Expansion on Hold Due to Threat of Truck Tolls
- House Minority Leader Morgan to Submit Bill Repealing Truck Tolls
- Morgan Talks RI Convention Center, Google Money, and Truck Tolls on GoLocal LIVE