NJ Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Transporting RI Minor to Engage in Sex
Thursday, October 09, 2014
Daniel Berger, 28, admitted that he befriended a 13-year-old female on the Internet and subsequently transported her from Portsmouth to his residence in Haskell, New Jersey, on July 24, 2013.
Berger, who pled guilty on July 18, 2014, was also ordered by U.S. District Court Judge Mary M. Lisi to serve 15 years of supervised release upon completion of his prison term, to register as a sex offender and to pay restitution to the victim’s family in the amount of $909.39, for expenses incurred by the family as a result of this crime.
Local, state and federal law enforcement officials from Rhode Island and New Jersey worked collaboratively to locate the victim and arrest Berger.
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island Communities with the Most Sex Offenders
The State of Rhode Island Parole Board and Sex Offender Community Notification Unit provides a searchable online database of Level 2 and Level 3 sex offenders, which are "moderate risk" offender and "high risk" offenders, searchable by city and town, zip code, or offender level. Not all towns in the state have registered sex offenders in the database.
In addition, categories include "whereabouts unknown", "moved out of state", "incarcerated out of state", "deported", and "deceased."
Below are the sex offenders registered on the site as of November 2013, ranked accoring to offenders per capita in each community -- which can change daily. The population numbers are taken from Rhode Island DLT 2011 estimates.
Registered Offenders: 7
1.09 per 5000 residents
- NEW: Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA
- NEW: Chafee Nominates Sandra A. Lanni To RI Family Court
- Rob Horowitz: Supreme Court Fuels National Push for Gay Marriage
- Carol Anne Costa: Race + Justice Collide Again in America’s Courts
- New: Man Arrested for Taylor Swift Trespassing Due in Court Friday
- Local Firefighters Face Prolonged Court Battles
- LEGAL MATTERS: Is Small Claims Court A Good Idea?
- LISTEN: Family Court Fails RI Children
- Bishop Tobin Issues Statement on Supreme Court Same-Sex Marriage Deliberations
- Leonardo Angiulo: MA Court Takes Hit of Justice in Marijuana Rulings
- BREAKING: Moakley Federal Courthouse in Boston Evacuated
- Friars To Unveil New Court
- The Scoop: Harrop Courts Latino Vote; Green Infrastructure Grant
- RI, MA Privacy Experts Applaud Supreme Court Cell Phone Ruling
- Angiulo: Supreme Court Unanimous on I.R.S. Summons and Scrutiny
- Angiulo: Supreme Court Shuts Down Innovative Aereo TV Service
- NEW: Whitehouse, Cicilline Condemn Supreme Court Birth Control Decision
- McKee Takes Campaign Finance Challenge to RI Superior Court
- Federal Court Officer McKnight Dies, US Marshall Hainsworth Issues Statement
- Leonardo Angiulo: Supreme Court Rules Raging Bull Lawsuit to Go Another Round in Federal Court
- Leonardo Angiulo: U.S. Supreme Court Renews 2nd Amendment Debate
- Rob Horowitz: Supreme Court Keeps Shredding Campaign Finance Laws