Pawtucket Man Sentenced to 5 Years in Prison for Selling Methamphetamine
Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Christopher Bergeron, 46, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Providence on September 22, 2017, to possession with the intent to distribute 50 grams or more of methamphetamine.
He was arrested on May 4, 2017, after Warwick Police seized 15 grams of methamphetamine from Bergeron’s car and Pawtucket Police seized 121 grams of methamphetamine during a court authorized search of his residence.
At sentencing, U.S. District Court Chief Judge William E. Smith also ordered Bergeron to serve 4 years supervised release upon completion of his term of incarceration.
The statutorily required minimum sentence of 5 years imposed by the Court is greater than the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines imprisonment range in this matter of 41-51 months. The government recommended the Court impose a sentence of 60 months of incarceration.
Bergeron’s drug trafficking activities came to the attention of law enforcement during an unrelated investigation into the methamphetamine trafficking activities of Jon Cascella, 49, of Warwick.
A federal court jury recently convicted Cascella on four counts of distribution of methamphetamine, two counts of distribution of 5 grams or more of methamphetamine, and one count each of possession with intent to distribute 5 grams or more of methamphetamine, being a felon in possession of a firearm arm and possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking.
Cascella is scheduled to be sentenced by U.S. District Court Chief Judge William E. Smith on March 2, 2018.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- NEW: One of RI’s Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives Arrested in Ohio
- Former Rep. Palumbo Arrested for Embezzling from Campaign Account
- Suspect in Federal Hill Dolce Villa Robbery Arrested
- Providence Residents in Possession of 5 Kilos of Cocaine Worth $150,000 Arrested
- UPDATED: Chair of Providence GOP Arrested for Child Molestation
- RI Prison Escapee Morales Arrested by MA State Police, Prison Officials React in Central Falls
- Top RI Comedian, Former Rhode Show Host Arrested on Cocaine Charges
- Providence Man Arrested After Police Find Rifle, Marijuana in Home
- New York Men Arrested in West Greenwich for Possession of 2,295 Oxycodone Pills
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- NEW: Hells Angels Associate Arrested in Rhode Island on Drug, Weapons Charge
- Special Education Teacher Arrested for Possession of Child Porn
- 79 People Arrested, 344 Citations Issued by RI State Police Over Holiday Weekend
- Providence Man Arrested on Gun & Child Abuse Charges
- Cranston Man Indicted, Arrested on Federal Firearms & Drug Trafficking Charges
- Lincoln High School Baseball Coach Hallam Arrested for Embezzlement
- NEW: Man Arrested for Possession of 50 Pounds of Marijuana Worth an Estimated $50,000
- Mini Crime Spree: Two Providence Employees Arrested, One Suspended
- 3 Providence Brothers, Previously Deported, Arrested for Leading Major Drug Cartel
- New York Man Arrested With Nearly 50 Pounds of Marijuana on Rt 95 in Hopkinton
- Boy Scout Master and Son Arrested By State Police for Child Porn
- ACLU Settles Lawsuit With Tiverton Over 3rd Grader Searched & Arrested Without Cause
- State Police Cruiser Thief Arrested in Cumberland