slides: RI + New England’s Crumbling Infrastructure Costs Drivers Billions
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and New England is no exception.
The report card, which looks at infrastructure across 16 different sectors including bridges, dams, roads and railways in its cumulative GPA, is issued every four years. The U.S. saw a slight increase in its grade this time around from a D in 2009 to the current D+, but experts say there's still more to do, with ASCE estimates for total investment needs at $3.6 trillion by 2020 across all 16 sectors.
“A D+ is simply unacceptable for anyone serious about strengthening our nation’s economy; however, the 2013 Report Card shows that this problem can be solved. If we want to create jobs, increase trade, and assure the safety of our children, then infrastructure investment is the answer,” said ASCE President Gregory E. DiLoreto.
The highest grade on the 2013 report card was a B- for solid waste infrastructure, while the lowest grades were D- for inland waterways and levees. However, none of the categories received a lower grade than in 2009.
“We must commit today to investing in modern, efficient infrastructure systems to position the U.S. for economic prosperity," said DiLoreto. "Infrastructure can either be the engine for long-term economic growth and employment, or, it can jeopardize our nation’s standing if poor roads, deficient bridges, and failing waterways continue to hurt our economy.”
Check out the details of the current state of infrastructure around New England, and see how much your state's roads, bridges and dams are costing you each year as a motorist.
- 60 Most Dangerous Intersections in New England
- Rhode Island’s Most Dangerous Intersections: Experts React
- 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Vermont
- The Most Dangerous Bridges in RI
- 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Rhode Island
- RI Has Bumpiest Rural Roads in US
- 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in New Hampshire
- The Most Dangerous Rural Roads - Top 10 Minor Roads
- 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Massachusetts
- The Most Dangerous Rural Intersections and Roads - Top 35
- 10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Maine
- Rhode Island’s Most Dangerous Bridges