Welcome to RI’s Next Wild Wild West - Sports Betting
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
RI’s Director of the Office of Management and Budget Jonathan Womer said he believes Rhode Island can implement a sports betting program faster than Massachusetts and Connecticut.
“We think we can beat our neighbors to market,” said Womer in an interview on Tuesday night.
But, when asked about other Rhode Island failed or delayed technology rollouts such as UHIP, the Division of Motor Vehicles, and the most recently delayed truck toll gantries.
On Tuesday, Cranston Mayor Allan Fung “implored” Senators to scrutinize the Raimondo administration's pie-in-the-sky expectations in regards to the financial windfall.
"Much like her highway tolls, Raimondo is rolling the dice on unrealistic numbers to plug her numerous budget holes," Mayor Fung said. "While Raimondo's Chief of Revenue Analysis tweeted in response to this article 'Go Big or Go Home', Rhode Islanders deserve a budget that is based on realistic numbers & expectations."
Womer also outlined that we are at the very beginning of a long process. He told GoLocal that in the future could be expanded to include online gaming.
Gamblers will be able to wager on pro and college games — but Rhode Islanders will be barred from betting on Rhode Island college teams both home and away, but nothing will limit Rhode Islanders from betting on URI v PC or Bryant v Brown Basketball games in MA or CT.
Some of the assumptions state officials are using to estimate the state’s revenue are:
The Oxford Economic study estimates annual RI sports betting handle (total bets) between $654.6 and $972.5 million. RI used the midpoint ($818.6 million) to generate estimates.
• Assumed hold (% left after winnings) of 5.5%
• Data from Nevada indicates that 86% of betting occurs between October and June; used this to pro-rate an October 1 anticipated start date
• Assumed similar state share as video lottery terminals (VLTs)
- Can Online Gambling Save RI?
- NEW: Chafee Says State Must Protect Gambling Revenue
- State House Report: Gambling Revenues, Student Loan Rates & the Ban on Tanning
- New Gambling Tax on the Table Today
- State House Report: House Budget, Gambling & Compassion Centers
- Casino Gambling: Is 2012 The Year?
- Gambling Company’s suit against Narragansett Indians goes to Court
- Gambling Bill to Go Before House Committee
- THE BIG POLL #7 - GAMBLING
- Kilmartin Calls for Oversight of Casino Gambling
- State Report: Problem Gambling, 38 Studios & Millions for Medicare
- Donna Perry: Gambling on a Jobs Strategy
- 17 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- 20 Arrested Across Rhode Island in Organized Criminal Gambling Sweep
- EDITORIAL: Question #1, Expansion of Gambling is a Business Decision
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 21 (Gov. Notte and Police Green Light Patriarca’s Gambling)
- Daily Fantasy Sports Games May Be the Next Compulsive Gambling Problem
- Problem Gambling a Concern as Rhode Island Prepares for Table Games
- Russell Moore: Gambling is an Economic Development
- RI Expected to Lose $422M Revenue in 5 years to MA Gambling
- New Members Named To Citizens Concerned About Casino Gambling Executive Committee
- Is Rhode Island Looking to Legalize Online Casino Gambling to Fill Budget Gap