Cheat Sheet 59, FBI Files: Coia’s Relationship with Patriarca, FBI and the Clintons
Monday, September 26, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
This week’s documents focus mostly on the period of the mid-1970’s when events took place that led to the federal government to seek a grand jury indictment of Raymond Patriarca, Arthur E. Coia and others.
Much of the documents unveiled today are the files tied to that case, but that was not the only run in between the Feds and the Coia family and the Laborers' International Union.
As Newsweek wrote in May of 1996:
ARTHUR A. COIA HAS BEEN VERY good to the Democrats. His union, the Laborers' International, has given more than $3 million to the party since 1991. At a private meeting in the Oval Office in 1994, the president gave (Bill) Coia, an avid golfer, one of Clinton's personal clubs, a nine-iron. Last week Coia was vice chairman of a black-tie gala that netted the Democrats $12 million for the fall. The union boss sat at the same table with star attractions Robin Williams and Stevie Wonder.
Coia, who presides over 750,000 mostly low-wage construction and waste-removal workers, fancies himself a labor statesman; the presidential nine-iron is proudly displayed in a glass case at union headquarters in Washington. But Coia, who has also publicly hobnobbed with Hillary Clinton, is turning into a convenient target for Republicans searching for Democratic bogeymen.
PAGE 13 According to FBI documents one informant said,”She said ARTHUR E. COIA liked to have young ladies about him and would make general remarks to his associates to the effect that this was my girl.”
PAGE 31 Multiple affidavits for the hearings before the Permanent Subcommittee of Investigations of the Committee on Governmental Affairs, United States Senate.
PAGE 61 Meeting took place “when Dukakis was Governor of Massachusetts.”
Related Slideshow: FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 59
- Cheat Sheet 58, FBI Files: Patriarca and Coia, the Massive Effort to Prosecute
- Cheat Sheet 57, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Run Laborers’ International
- Cheat Sheet 56, FBI Files: Raymond Patriarca Dies
- Cheat Sheet 55, FBI Files: FBI Source is Marked for Death, Col. Stone and Maj. Benjamin
- Cheat Sheet 54, FBI Files: FBI Track Alleged Bribes to NJ Governor Brendan Byrne
- Cheat Sheet 53, FBI Files: Key Witness is Killed
- Cheat Sheet 52, FBI Files: Federal Courts Battle Over Indictments of Coia and Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 49, FBI Files: Las Vegas Casinos, RI Corruption, Callei Murder, Bonded Vault
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?
- Cheat Sheet 45, FBI Files: Valachi Called to be Deposed in Patriarca’s Suit Against Boston Herald
- Cheat Sheet 44, FBI Files: 20 Murders, Coia, Worcester Cop
- Cheat Sheet 43, FBI Files: Nazis, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Civil Rights
- Cheat Sheet 42 The Patriarca Papers – Nazis, Negroes and Buying a Chevy Dealership
- Cheat Sheet 41, FBI Files: Bianco, Bombs Outlawed, Volpe and Warwick Musical Theatre
- Cheat Sheet 40, FBI Files: Collapse of the Bonanno Family, Bodies in a Car, Dynamite on the Engine
- Cheat Sheet 39 - The Patriarca Papers (Patriarca’s Ongoing Hatred for Robert Kennedy)
- Cheat Sheet 38 - The Patriarca Papers (Helen Patriarca Dies of Cancer, Numerous Hits Ordered)
- Cheat Sheet 37 The Patriarca Papers – Stealing Typewriters, Flemmi, Barbosa, Italian Federal Judge
- Cheat Sheet 36 - The Patriarca Papers (Union Problems for Gilbane, Sinatra, Nazi’s and Murders)