Cheat Sheet 61, FBI Files: Coia Called Patriarca a “Saint,” RI Country Club & Breeding Rottweilers
Monday, October 10, 2016
Each week accompanying the segments of the FBI files on Raymond Patriarca and expert analysis on the documents released, GoLocal provides a “cheat sheet” of some of the key elements from the documents.
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
"Arthur E. Coia, was close to Raymond Patriarca, the legendary boss of the New England Mafia. According to an FBI informant, Coia Sr. once described Patriarca as a ""saint.'' Coia Jr. says he never met Patriarca, but he does allow that he tried to breed champion show dogs with Patriarca's son, Raymond Jr. (The dogs, Rottweilers, failed to mate.) Patriarca Sr. and both Coias were indicted in 1981 for allegedly taking kickbacks, but the case was dismissed because the statute of limitations had run out, Yabberz wrote about the relationship between the Patriarca and Coia families.
As the UPI reported at the time of the federal indictments, "The heads of three of the nation's organized crime families plotted as far back as 1976 to steal millions of dollars from the huge Laborers International Union of North America by gaining control of its insurance business, federal grand jury indictments claim.
The indictments, handed up this week in Miami against reputed New England crime boss Raymond L.S. Patriarca, three union officials and a former Rhode Island state representative, charge the five men with conspiring to divert more than $1 million in union insurance funds to the mob.+
PAGE 20 Interviews at the John F. Kennedy Building in Boston
PAGE 21 Golf and Card playing tournament sponsored by the D.C. Friends of Ireland.
PAGE 64 Accountants, Lawyers, and the SEC
Page 85 A member of Rhode Island Country Club,”however, the club members voted him out.”
Related Slideshow: FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 61
- Cheat Sheet 60, FBI Files: Is Coia Son Like Father?
- Cheat Sheet 59, FBI Files: Coia’s Relationship with Patriarca, FBI and the Clintons
- Cheat Sheet 58, FBI Files: Patriarca and Coia, the Massive Effort to Prosecute
- Cheat Sheet 57, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Run Laborers’ International
- Cheat Sheet 56, FBI Files: Raymond Patriarca Dies
- Cheat Sheet 55, FBI Files: FBI Source is Marked for Death, Col. Stone and Maj. Benjamin
- Cheat Sheet 54, FBI Files: FBI Track Alleged Bribes to NJ Governor Brendan Byrne
- Cheat Sheet 53, FBI Files: Key Witness is Killed
- Cheat Sheet 52, FBI Files: Federal Courts Battle Over Indictments of Coia and Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 49, FBI Files: Las Vegas Casinos, RI Corruption, Callei Murder, Bonded Vault
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?