2018 Governor’s Race Playbook - Will Democrats Buy Sinclair? May 14, 2018
Monday, May 14, 2018
Governor Gina Raimondo's campaign said Sunday night she is likely to send dollars over to the controversial conservative media group.
But, one of her top Democratic challengers -- Matt Brown -- refused to answer if they will spend on Sinclair’s WJAR. Brown, who is claiming to be running to the left of Raimondo, would not comment.
"We haven't finalized the plan but I would imagine NBC10 will be included," said David Ortiz, spokesperson for the Raimondo campaign.
SEE THE WINS, LOSES, AND X-FACTORS OF THE WEEK BELOW
Democrats across the country have ripped Sinclair Broadcasting for its strong pro-Trump news promotions, its close ties to the Trump administration, and the implications of Sinclair’s purchase of Tribune’s TV stations.
In a letter to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), RI’s Democratic Congressman David Cicilline called on the agency to block the $3.9 billion merger between Sinclair and Tribune. He cited, “In one case, Sinclair provided scripts to local station anchors asking, "Did the FBI have a personal vendetta in pursuing the Russian investigation against President Trump's former national security advisor Michael Flynn?"
"Sinclair provides stations with so-called 'must-run' segments that include video op-eds from Sinclair executive Mark Hyman and political analyst Boris Epshteyn. Epshteyn, who joined Sinclair in April, was a senior adviser to Trump's presidential campaign and once claimed Obama won North Carolina because of voter fraud. Some local stations have protested by airing these must-run segments during pre-dawn times of very low viewership,” added Cicilline.
Related Slideshow: 2018 Governor’s Race Playbook - May 14, 2018
Joe Trillo (I)
Identified a real RI problem. “According to 24/7 Wall Street, Rhode Island’s graduation rate is only at 82%, meaning that nearly 20% of Rhode Island students are not graduating high school, while public school spending has increased to over $15,000.00 per pupil. This number is staggering, and it tells me that the formula for successful education in our state does not work. Where is all this money going, because it’s not helping the students,” he added.
Trillo continued, “I also find it exasperating to learn that 8th-grade NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) proficiency is only at 32% for math and 34.8% for reading. These dramatically low numbers should be a wake-up call to Rhode Island taxpayers that the state’s education system, under Governor Gina Raimondo’s control, is failing our students. Without a good education, young people are left with few options to be successful in their adult life.”
Yet to announce any endorsements.
X-Factor: Best substantive week.
Patricia Morgan (R)
Morgan continued to pound away on Fung. Her campaign claimed, “Allan Fung talks a big game about how he’ll reform state government, but voters should question why Fung didn’t reform Cranston while he was mayor,” said Bryan Piligra, the campaign spokesman. “Fung’s administration has been plagued with pay-to-play scandals and gross mismanagement – he is not the solution to fixing Rhode Island’s corruption, he is the corruption. What he has learned in Cranston City Hall, he will perfect in the Statehouse.”
Needs more hands on the campaign -- misses opportunities.
X-Factor: One of the most intriguing candidates in the race. Can she take advantage of opportunities?
Gina Raimondo (D)
Raimondo was able to welcome the Volvo Ocean Race to Rhode Island. She was a player in bringing the major international race back to Newport.
Also, the revenue numbers were better than anticipated and the FY18 and FY 19 combined shortfall drops from $250M to about $120M.
The UHIP failure seems to look bleaker and bleaker each week. This past week Democrats hammered the Raimondo administration for the endless number of failures tied to the program.
X-Factor: Needs to convince Rhode Islanders she cares about them. When will that begin?
Matt Brown (D)
Brown kicks-off on Monday with a community event at the Southside Cultural Center in Providence.
“The Rhode Island economy is fundamentally broken and it will take fundamental change to reverse the entrenched concentration of wealth that has left most people struggling, and put money, opportunity and power back into the hands of people and communities,” said Brown.
Did Brown miss opportunities to strike a difference with Raimondo on the state’s budget deficit and her management of UHIP? For the most part, it was all quiet on the East Side front.
Still seems to struggle with basic press relations.
X-Factor: When is he going to collect the Democratic Raimondo haters — teachers, retirees, progressives?
Allan Fung (R)
Fung hit Raimondo hard on UHIP.
His campaign: "Raimondo's big screw up continues to hurt the most vulnerable and those who care for them. At last night's oversight hearings, we learned that the state remains so backlogged on long-term care applications that people are actually passing away before the state even gets to them. Virginia Burke, who advocates for long-term care facilities, said it bluntly, "The situation is not good," and testified that some aspects of the system were getting worse. As if that weren't bad enough, Raimondo's team continues to lose applications - just as they twice did for Mayor Fung's father, and attribute scanned documents to wrong cases, situations that fellow Democratic Representative Jason Knight called "a lack of competency and a lack of professionalism."
Raimondo fired back on Fung's lack of support for rebuilding RI schools.
Raimondo hit Fung on failing to support the funding to improve schools across the state. “While Cranston families send their children to dangerously neglected schools that fail to keep students and teachers safe, warm and dry, Mayor Allan Fung patted himself on the back yesterday in a statement from his campaign to the Providence Journal for approving a minimal level of school repairs during his years as Mayor. In the same statement, Fung opposed Governor Raimondo’s plan to make a once-in-a-generation, $1 billion statewide investment to fix Rhode Island’s schools."
Cranston public school officials and families are pleading for additional funding for school repairs, with School Superintendent Jeannine Nota remarking at a recent hearing on the hypocrisy of claiming the city is providing enough funding for students and teachers “when there’s only two outlets in a classroom.” At the same meeting, School Committee Chairwoman Janice Ruggieri called out Fung for tweeting that “strong public schools are the bedrock of strong communities” when, in her 10 years on the school committee Cranston’s schools have only received about 24 percent of the funding they’ve requested.
X-Factor: Scored points with calling out Raimondo on UHIP, but needs to be careful. Independent voting women want better schools.
Paul Roselli (D)
Quiet week. Attended the poorly attended Moderate Party debate.
X-Factors: Called for updates to the Energy Facility Siting Act. Will his focus on RI's energy infrastructure -- and good government -- be enough?
Luis Daniel Muñoz (I)
Showed up at Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza's controversial "All In" education conference. The conference that Elorza barred teachers from attending.
X-Factor: Picked up seven Twitter followers - now has 227.
Giovanni Feroce (R)
Has done little to answer questions about his financial melt-down.
Continues to take on water due to questions about his ability to lead an organization. Endless bad press due to his failure at Benrus.
X-Factor: No press releases. No policy announcements
- RI Loses 200 Jobs in January, Fung Blasts Raimondo’s Performance
- RI GOP Files Federal Elections Complaint Over Raimondo-Providence Dems Fundraising Agreement
- VIDEO: WJAR Anchors Read Pro-Trump Sinclair Script About “Fake News”
- VIDEO: Raimondo on State of RI Roads in Tuesday’s Storm
- UPDATED: WJAR-10/Sinclair Controversy Blows Up — Morning Joe Criticizes and Trump Defends Co.
- Who Controls Local News Has More Control Than Anyone Else, Says RIC’s Israel on Sinclair Controversy
- GoLocal Story On WJAR’s Parent Co. Sparks Dispute Between Sinclair, Politico - They Blame Kushner
- Gov. Candidate Brown Runs as Progressive—Took Hundreds of Thousands from RI’s Wealthiest
- WJAR’s Parent Company Sinclair is Big Winner In Trump Administration FCC Reg Rollback
- Matt Brown Made Nearly $300K for Financially Fledgling Non-Profit with $2M Budget
- Raimondo Says Armed School Resource Officers Should Be Determined by Communities
- Raimondo Criticizes National Grid Storm Response, Company Responds
- Raimondo Announces 4th Annual Governor for a Day Essay Contest
- Sinclair’s Nationalization of Local News is “Big Problem,” Says Leading Media Strategist Brown
- NEW: Former Sec. of State Brown to Run for Governor as Democrat
- Raimondo Invested in Funds That Owned Gun Company Stocks While Treasurer
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo Denial of Ties to NRA Money - “We Call BS”
- 65% of RIers Support Raimondo’s $250M Bond, Says Bryant’s Hassenfeld Institute Poll
- NEW: RI GOP Blasts Ethics Commission for “Making Excuses for Raimondo”
- VIDEO: Raimondo Doubles-Down on Denying Gun-Lobby Money, Despite Repeated Donations
- Raimondo’s Proposed $18M Developmental Disabilities Cut Draws Rebuke from Trudeau Center’s Sullivan
- Raimondo’s Proposed Medicaid Cuts Would be Devastating, Says Neighborhood Health Plan’s Marino
- UPDATED: Save The Bay Files Complaint Against Raimondo on CRMC Appointees
- Raimondo Picks & Chooses Jobs Numbers - Claims Improvement As RI Loses 500 Jobs
- Raimondo Raised a Record $1.3 million in Q1
- Governor Raimondo Joins GoLocal LIVE in Newport to Talk Volvo Ocean Race
- RI’s Top Early Education Ranking & School Construction Needs: Raimondo Staffer Gallagher on LIVE
- Raimondo Has Strong Connection to Key Judge in Trump-Cohen Case
- Elder Home Care Advocate Blasts Raimondo on Budget Cuts
- Raimondo’s Proposed Level-Funding of DCYF Not Adequate, Says Children’s Friend CEO
- POLL: Raimondo is the 7th Least Popular Governor in America — 50% Disapprove
- Who is Responsible for RI’s Economic Recovery - Trump or Raimondo?
- Democratic Governors Assn Blasts Fung, Morgan for Failing to Speak Out on Harassment
- LIVE: GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Morgan Questions “Where Fung Stands” on LIVE
- Fung and Morgan Refuse to Condemn Alleged Sexual Harassment By President of RI Young Republicans
- Fung Raises Over $175K in 4th Quarter of 2017
- Fung is Back — Announces 2018 Run for Governor
- Morgan Out Raises Fung for Quarter in GOP Battle, He Has More Cash on Hand
- VIDEO: Fung Blasts Raimondo’s State of the State Speech
- VIDEO: Cranston’s Fung Says “Stay Off Roads” on LIVE During Storm
- Fung Announces City & Town Campaign Chairs
- Fung on Economic Plan, Marijuana, PawSox, and More on LIVE
- Wednesday on GoLocal LIVE - The Taste and Mayor Allan Fung
- Fung’s Campaign Town Chair Chippendale Calls Parkland High School Student a “Dummy”
- Fung Campaign Raises Over $191K in Fundraising for Quarter 1
- NEW: Morgan Raised $101K, Trails Fung by $90K for the Quarter
- Trillo Fires Back at Fung “Minions”
- Whitcomb: Buying Up Bankrupt Colleges; Facebook vs. Reality; Fung in Fiscal Fantasy?
- Fung Campaign Names Augustus Press Secretary
- Morgan Supports Trump’s Citizenship Question on Census—Fung Refuses Comment
- Warwick Republican City Committee Endorses Fung for Governor
- Gubernatorial Candidate Fung Releases Economic Policy Plan
- Rep. Morgan Receives Friend of Government Accountability Award
- LIVE: Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, JPMorgan Healthcare Shakeup: “Nonprofit” is Key, Says Fine
- “Corruption, Hostile Business Climate, Poor Education” - RI House GOP Leader Morgan’s State of State
- Morgan Who Took RISP Cruiser Charged with 6 Counts and 2 Others Charged for Harboring
- Morgan Attending White House Meeting on Tax Reform on Thursday
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Morgan Says Tax Reform “Float All Boats”
- Morgan Questions Effectiveness of RIDOT Spending for Providence Viaduct Bridge
- Morgan Calls on Kilmartin to Use Remaining Google Funds to Secure Schools
- “Retire in RI” - Morgan on RI House GOP Agenda on LIVE
- Architectural Critic Will Morgan: The New Un-Improved Tower
- Grace Church - One of Prov’s Great Architectural Treasures: Architectural Critic Will Morgan
- LIVE: Morgan Promises to End Tolls in “Blueprint for a Stronger Rhode Island”
- Architectural Critic Will Morgan: How We Look
- Rep. Morgan Demands Kilmartin Release Google Funds for School Safety
- Sen. Morgan to Host Workshop on Stopping Sexploitation